This post is going to be a little different from our normal top 10 list or book review. This is something we have been thinking about for a while now, and though we still have some details to hammer out, we want to start advertising our first writing contest now. This contest is going to be open to all kids in middle school through high school(grades 6-12). We still have a bunch of planning to do before we kick off the start of the contest, but wanted to give kids and school districts time to ask questions and prepare for the contest. The ultimate goal is to collect some of the best science fiction and fantasy stories written by kids and compile these into an anthology and publish it! Being our first year attempting a contest like this we really have no idea how many entries we are going to receive and how much funding we can raise.
We will be posting a signup form on its own page here on JetpacksNdragons.com in the very near future. Until then however if you have a child that is interested in writing fantasy or science fiction or if you are an educator wanting to use this contest to help teach your students about writing, please contact me personally at jay@jetpacksNdragons.com. You can alternatively click on the contact link at the top of the page and that will give you more details on how to contact me. Below you find a little bit more detail on what we are planning.
- Contest will start some time close to the beginning of the school year(September).
- We will take submissions up until February or March. This depends on how many entries we receive. We want to make sure we have enough time to read all of them and pick winners before the end of the school year.
- There will be prizes. We honestly don’t know how much money we can raise to support the contest but are confident we will have raised enough money for some kind of prize.
- Prize examples could range from a copy of the eBook to a physical one. If funding for this project goes through the roof we would love to hire an artist to design the cover, a professional editor to proofread and compile the stories, and physical copies of the books to all the participating schools.
- Sales from the book would be used to fund the next years contest.
- We are working on a donation page to help raise money needed.
- A Patreon account is being set up where we can release stories early to people who support the contest.
- Please email me with questions. I can’t promise I will have answers to every question, but I will do my best.
We are SUPER EXCITED about this. We want kids to get excited about writing, and to be excited about reading some of their peers work. If you know someone that is an educator, or know someone with a child interested in writing please share this info. Feel free to share this on Facebook or Twitter or whatever social media platform you use. You can also leave a comment below to let us know what you think. I personally think this is a great way to challenge our youth to put their imaginations to good use.